Ahtna, Inc. subsidiary Tolsona Oil & Gas Exploration, LLC is the owner-operator of a new gas drilling program on state land about 11 miles west of Ahtna’s Glennallen, Alaska Corporate Headquarters. The Copper River basin has seen limited oil and gas exploration compared to other areas of the state, but its geology bears many similarities to that of the prolific Cook Inlet basin.
Ahtna was issued a State of Alaska Exploration License in 2013 for 44,000 acres of state land. In 2014, Ahtna completed 40-square-miles of 2D seismic exploration which provided very positive data resulting in identification of a distinct oil and gas structure. The area of interest is part of the Middle Earth and New Frontier basins. A substantial discovery would benefit not only the region, but the state at large.
Ahtna is taking a well-planned approach and making sure appropriate measures are in place to handle challenges encountered such as the high-pressure water zones that were experienced by previous explorers. Safety is a top priority and Ahtna is committed to achieving zero reportable incidents. New local job opportunities have been created and if the potential resources are successful, that will translate into meaningful long-term employment for residents.
Resource development interest in the basin dates back to the 1950’s
Some limited oil and gas exploration of the area was done prior to the mid-1980s, with over 500-miles of geophysical surveys conducted and 11 wildcat wells drilled. Most of the previous wells encountered oil and gas shows.
Tolsona in the Media
- Ahtna, Inc. Announces Conclusion of Tolsona No. 1 Field Operations and Successful Demobilization
- KTVA Channel 11: Ahtna conducts exploratory drilling for natural gas near Tolsona
- KTUU Channel 2: Prayers, money, and jobs: Alaska native corporation hunts for natural gas near Glennallen
- Alaska Dispatch News: Ahtna completes drilling a natural gas well near Glennallen, set to begin testing
- Alaska Dispatch News: Ahtna drills cautious well as Native companies step into oil and gas exploration
- Alaska Business Monthly: Ahtna successfully begins drilling program