STAR Awards

Published April 2017

 

 

Special Projects Manager, Bruce Cain is presented with STAR Award by Senior VP, Kathryn Martin.

Heide Lingenfelter with her STAR Award.

Ahtna’s Heide Lingenfelter provided preliminary first aid assistance when an employee began choking and showing signs of distress. When her attempt to dislodge the obstruction was unsuccessful, she immediately got help from Bruce Cain who provided first-aid care until the initial crisis was over. Bruce then accompanied the employee to the local urgent care clinic for further evaluation.

 

 

 

On Friday, August 26, 2016 an employee began choking and showing signs of distress. Heide Lingenfelter provided preliminary first aid assistance; however she was unsuccessful in her attempt to dislodge the obstruction. She immediately sought additional help and located Bruce Cain. Bruce provided first aid care until the initial crisis was over, and then he accompanied the employee to the local urgent care clinic for further evaluation.

 

 

ASTS President, Vicky Dunlap presents Asael Saavedra with a STAR Award.

Josie Beal with her STAR Award.

When AhtnaSTS Food Service Cook Sonia Alvarez reported a fire on the tilt skillet to AhtnaSTS Cook Supervisor Josefa Beal, Beal turned off the gas valve, grabbed the correct fire extinguisher and stood by in case the fire continued, thereby preventing the fire from spreading, protecting the staff and saving the skillet from further damage.

On Thursday September 15, 2016 at approximately 9: 40 pm, AhtnaSTS staff members were moving tables from a parking lot to an events site at the Port Isabel Detention Center. AhtnaSTS Food Service Cook 2 Ernesto Flores immediately recognized that staff members were walking through a large puddle of water on the ground. At the same time, AhtnaSTS Armed Detention Officer Asael Saavedra recognized the same hazard. Offier Saavedra and Mr. Flores took immediate action and alerted the staff to not to walk in the water due to it being a slip hazard. Mr. Flores obtained a large floor squeegee from the food service department and removed the standing water to eliminate the slip hazard. Their combined actions prevented staff from potentially slipping onto the hard ground and sustaining injury.

We are pleased to present both Office Saavedra and Mr. Flores with STAR awards for their concern and initiative in eliminating a slip hazard.